Federal Tax ID Assistance for Holly Springs

Why is a Federal Tax ID Important?

A Federal Tax ID is a nine-digit number assigned by the US IRS to classify how a business is taxed. All businesses conducting operations with the US must have an entity classification and number. Federal agencies use the number to identify and regulate each business.

Are Tax Id and EIN different?

Yes. These are different, but have terminology that is commonly interchanged.

A Tax Identification Number or TIN is used by the IRS to differentiate the numbers it uses for tax purpose.

Numbers used for Identification are:

  • A Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Employer ID number (EIN) – businesses that register with the IRS most commonly use an EIN for identification
  • Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN) – for individuals who are NOT eligible for Social Security numbers. Not to be used for identification.

What Kinds of Businesses Need a Federal Tax ID?

A variety of factors determine whether or not a specific business needs a Tax ID. Generally, unless you own a sole proprietorship, any business that provides goods or services that can be taxed, must operate with a valid Federal Tax ID number. Operating with paid employees is also a qualifier for needing to register a Federal ID.

How Do Sole Proprietors Avoid a Tax ID?

Sole Proprietors can use their personal SSN to identify the business. As the business owner, you do not need additional numbers since you will file and pay business taxes when you file a personal tax return.

LLC’S, Partnerships and Corporations

Businesses that fall under this categorization of entities will use the EIN even if no employees are listed.

There is an exception to this rule. A single member LLC will use the Social Security number of the owner, NOT the Tax ID/EIN.

Do I need Tax ID for a Church/non-profit Organization?

It is highly advisable that even tax-exempt organizations file for a Tax ID number. Regardless of whether the institution has employees, there may be circumstances when the EIN is needed.

Is State Tax ID and Federal the Same?

No. Federal and State tax reporting are two seperate things.

A state tax ID is solely for state tax reporting. A state tax must be paid for any state that a business may have offices or employees. It is feasible that a business could have multiple state tax ID’s, thus making it a difficult identifier. Only one federal ID will be issued and it supersedes that of the state.

Do You Have to Pay for a Federal Tax ID?

You do not have to pay to apply for a Federal Tax ID. However, you may be required to pay for entity classification at the time of application.

Does a Federal Tax ID Expire?

No. This number is unique to a single business. Even if a business requests a change, the number will not be re-assigned to a new business.

Applying for a Federal Tax ID

If you are in need of a Tax ID number, fill out the IRS form SS-4 by clicking here. We do recommend speaking with a Holly Springs small business CPA prior to submitting your form to ensure that your documentation is recorded properly from the start. If a change is needed, it could take weeks before the change is accepted.

Contact our CPA for Your Holly Springs Small Business’ Accounting Needs

Selecting the proper business entity for your company can be confusing, and making a mistake can have a drastic impact on your small business tax obligation. An experienced CPA can assist you throughout the entire process and ensure you select the proper Federal ID for your company.

With over 30 years of experience with serving local businesses, we are equipped to handle your Holly Springs company’s financial matters. Contact our CPA today by completing the online contact form below or calling 919-420-0092.

Contact Our Certified Public Accounting Office

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

*Information presented on this website should not be construed as formal accounting or tax advice or the formation of an Accountant/CPA-client relationship. Additionally, any email sent to C.E. Thorn, CPA, PLLC at the email addresses set forth in this website will not create an Accountant/CPA-client relationship.